Monday, March 10, 2014

I Had a Little Turtle Quiet Book Page

Here is another fun kid song that I thought would make a good quiet book page.  I REALLY loved putting this one together.

The turtle is a finger puppet in the bathtub pocket.  The soap is attached with a ribbon so it won't get lost.  And there are sequins in the bubbles.  So much fun!

  
I started by arranging all the pieces on the page so I could make sure it all lined up correctly.  Then I stitched a line on the bathtub front piece only to distinguish the tub lip and keep it from stretching too much with play.  I stitched down the tub back and the water piece.  Then you want to make the soap.  I just used pink embroidery floss to stitch the word "soap" and a dashed outline around the front piece and then hot glued the front and back together sandwiching a piece of ribbon between.  Tuck the ribbon under the bottom of the tub and stitch the tub front onto the page.  Don't worry if some ribbon sticks out of the bottom - you can cut it off pretty closely after it's stitched and the tub foot should cover the rest.  I just hot glued on the tub feet and spout.  The bubbles are white backgrounds with sequins sandwiched between vinyl.  I hand stitched around the vinyl with tiny tiny stitches to attach it.


This is the back of the turtle so you can see how I did the puppet part.  Basically, I did the turtle front first and stitched on the green shell and round shell decorations.  I also stitched on little white round eyes with a black french knot in the middle.  Then I put the turtle front and back together and cut the third turtle piece right above and below the legs to create a tunnel for a finger.  Hopefully the picture above helps clarify!  I stitched around the outline of the turtle with a blanket stitch.
This page is pretty simple, and only took me about an hour to complete.  Great naptime project!
As always, if you make it, I would LOVE to see your version.

3 comments:

  1. Cute pages. Thx for all the inspiration! Keep it up please. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take any patterns you're willing to share. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

(To the tune of If You're Happy and You Know It)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, Oh so happy, If you'll only leave a comment;
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
THANKS!