Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mail Truck Quiet Book Page

Almost every quiet book I've seen includes a mailbox page.  I love the mailbox page that Stephanie did, but thought it should be a two page spread for my nephew's book.  So I created a mail truck to go along with the mailbox page and deliver the mail and packages.


For the mail truck page I used: the pattern, felt in light blue, dark gray, black, red, blue, and white, two buttons, two grommets, and iron on transfer paper.
I started by sewing down the red and blue stripe.  Since the door is cut in the truck shape, the stripes are two separate pieces for each color.  This actually makes it much easier to make sure they are the correct length for the truck. 
After that, I ironed on the logo and web address to the truck body.  This really makes it look like a mail truck with not a lot of effort.  Don't iron over the red and blue stripe though!  I did and they bled a little bit :(  Yours will look much better cause I already made that mistake for you.  You're welcome :)
Then I placed the truck on the page and stitched around the outside edge to attach it to the page.  I also stitched around the windshield area.  I added the gray road and stitched on the turn signal and bumpers.  Then I put the grommets in the wheels and attached them to the page with buttons through the grommets so the wheels can turn.

I hand stitched the blue window to the front of the door and added the white door back piece for stability.
 Then it was on to the packages!  I basically stitched together a box like shape with a cut opening so you could see what was in the package.  I stitched a shaped button in each package and they were complete.





This is a VERY fun page to play with, especially when you combine it with a mailbox page.  It didn't take me very long to put together (one nap time), but it is a very interactive and cool page.  Please comment or send me pictures if you make it!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You are right; I've seen lots of quiet books with the mail page but the mail truck really adds to the whole concept. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mail truck! Well done! Such a great idea for the packages.

    ReplyDelete

(To the tune of If You're Happy and You Know It)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, Oh so happy, If you'll only leave a comment;
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
THANKS!