Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Frog Life Cycle Felt Page


To go with my frog song page and to be more educational I designed and made the life cycle of a frog.  The little frog/tadpole is called a metamorph.  Did you know that?  I think that is a super cool name - metamorph.  Kind of sounds like an X-men or something :)

I used blue, 2 colors of green, 2 colors of light green, brown, and tan felt.  I also used black, green, and blue embroidery thread, white sequins, & sew on googly eyes.  I really like all the textures on this page.  For the background I used blue felt and machine stitched a horizon line about 3 inches from the top.  I then lined up the lily pad and sewed it down.  I embroidered green vine lines down from the lily pad and added leaves.  Then I arranged the sequins and attached them with a black french knot to resemble frog eggs.

The tadpole is only stitched around the brown part.  I sandwiched the tan tail beneath the brown while I was sewing but did not stitch the edges of it so it has some movement.  I did the same for the metamorph, sandwiching the tail and arms and legs beneath the body while I stitched it.  I then stitched around the arms and legs.
I did the cattails next by stitching down the grass and then adding black embroidery for the stalks.  I stitched down the flowers (did you know the brown cyclinder part is a flower?) and added blue embroidery for the water.
Then I stitched down the frog's body and added his legs and arms.  Finally, I sewed on all the eyes.  I finished the back of the page like I did the 5 green and speckled frogs page with frog themed material on the back and topstitching around.  In retrospect, I should have positioned the page elements further in towards the middle so I had more space around the outside.  I'll have to remember that for future pages - leave bigger page margins!
If you are interested in making the page, please email me and I will send you the pattern.  Update - Here is the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(To the tune of If You're Happy and You Know It)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, Oh so happy, If you'll only leave a comment;
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
THANKS!